Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates.
Gratitude In-home Care is actively monitoring the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation and following the advice of the Australian Department of Health and the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services. We are continuing to provide much needed care and support services and implement rigorously infection control processes.
The wellbeing of our clients and our support workers is our highest priority in these challenging times, and we are doing everything we can to support and care for them.
Our aged care services
We are committed to staying connected with you. This includes updates on any impact to your service delivery and regular sharing of official government advice as it is released, as well as being available to answer any questions you may have.
We have systems in place to best prevent and respond to outbreaks, and our employees have been advised on infection control and how to identify early symptoms of COVID-19 infection.
We are asking all of the Gratitude In-home Care community to work together to help contain the spread of COVID-19 and to keep everyone safe.
Infection Prevention and other Important training
We are asking all of the Gratitude In-home Care community to stay up to date with the latest training. In addition, all Support Workers must complete mandatory training to continue to give support.
For up-to-date information on what Gratitude In-home Care are doing in response to COVID-19, Please contact our care coordination team to organise care on (03) 9034 7575.
For up-to-date health information, visit these websites:
Australian Government Department of Health: Infection Control Training – How to protect yourself and the people you are caring for from infection with COVID-19 (It is mandatory that all support workers complete training and supply certificate to Gratitude In-home Care – email@example.com) – Click her
Aged Care Training
Australian Government Department of Health: Infection Control Training – Module 2: Families and Visitors
- Part A: Residential Care Facilities
- Part B: In Home Care
Module 3: COVID-19 and Aged Care
Module 4: Outbreak Management
COVID-19 and Aged Care. Free online training. Click here
BaptistCare COVID-19 Staff briefing & Q&A. Click here
Thank you to BaptistCare for making this available online to the aged care sector
1.1 before face-to-face service is delivered
All Clients will be contacted by our service coordinators prior to their visit if possible and before arrival at the home and asked the following questions:
- Have you, a person in your household, or a person who will be present in the home during service, had a fever (or a history of fever), respiratory symptoms (e.g. shortness of breath or a cough) or flu like illness in the past 14 days?
- Have you, a person in your household, or a person in the home been diagnosed with or had close contact* with a confirmed or suspected case of COVID-19 case in the last 14 days
- Have you, somebody you live with, or someone who will be present in the home returned from travel overseas in the past 14 days or are otherwise in self-isolation or self-quarantine??
*Close contact includes face to face contact for at least 15 minutes or being in the same closed space for at least 2 hours as someone who has tested positive when that person was infectious.
The Support Worker should also provide answers in response to each question.
If either party answers ‘Yes’ to questions 1, 2 or 3, face to face support should not be provided**.
In the case of question 3 seek further advice from the Coronavirus Health Information Line 1800 020 080 if it relates to another person in a household. If a person has serious symptoms such as difficulty breathing, call 000 immediately for urgent medical help.
** In accordance with Government and general health requirements, if there has been a COVID-19 diagnosis or flu symptoms present, medical clearance should be provided before engagement can recommence. A copy should be provided to the impacted Worker/Client, Gratitude In-home Care and related Approved or Registered provider and/or Support Coordinator
If both parties answer ‘No’, service can proceed with the agreement of both parties.
2 DURING SERVICE
2.1 if neither the individual nor the support worker have symptoms of covid-19:
if screening questions have been answered indicating that service can proceed and neither the support worker nor the client receiving care and support are unwell, then infection control procedures should be practiced, including good hygiene practices and social distancing measures.
- practice good hand and sneeze/cough hygiene
- wash your hands frequently
- stay more than 1.5m apart wherever possible
general interventions may include increased cleaning activity, particularly of surfaces people touch, and keeping the property properly ventilated by opening windows whenever safe and appropriate.
consider providing as much support as possible outdoors at home with participants, practicing social distancing if possible.
also consider the ‘5 moments’ of hand hygiene before and after all client contact are:
- before touching a client
- before performing a procedure
- after a procedure or exposure to body fluids/substances
- after touching a client
- after touching client’s surroundings
2.2 if during a support session the client or a family member exhibits symptoms:
- cease face to face service safely and suggest the person self-isolate
- call the coronavirus health information line (1800 020 080) or if symptoms are severe, call 000.
- notify the person’s emergency contact
- notify the person’s approved/registered provider or support coordinator if they have one.
- notify gratitude in-home care by phone on 1300 912 155 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- call the coronavirus health information line (1800 020 080) and discuss if you can access priority covid-19 testing and/or if you should self-isolate.
3 HOW SUPPORT WORKERS CAN ESCALATE CLIENT HEALTH CONCERNS
In an emergency and/or if symptoms are severe always dial 000. In addition, you should notify the following:
- Client’s emergency contact
- Department of Health Coronavirus Health Information Line on 1800 020 080
- Contact Gratitude In-home Care at email@example.com or on 1300 912 155
We are here when you need us
contact us on 1300 912 155 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org